Trying to be more succinct than my last post. I am of the opinion that:

"X is emergent.", as a strong claim, is surely word magic. Indeed, everything
is emergent (minus the bare contents of some imaginary lowest level), so no
insight is gained from the labeling - no explanation is added.

In contrast, "X emerges from the combination of A, B, and C, when conditions P
and Q are met," is a great thing to be able to say. It can answer crucial
questions, can lead to great research programs, etc.

Of course, one could drop the word entirely. In that case, one would just say
"X is the combination of A, B, and C, when conditions P and Q are met."
However.... uhm....
however...
Damn.
I thought I could come up with a good "however". Then I deleting seven things
that seemed very convincing before I wrote them, but not afterwards. I can only
hope someone on the list can come up with one, because I really like talking
about emergence.

Hoping for help,

Eric

On Thu, Jul  9, 2009 10:28 PM, "Nicholas Thompson" <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Glen,

>Thanks for your thoughts, here.
>
>The correspondence got so untidy below that I thought best to restate the
>position as sharpened by your critique.
>
>I would say that, contra Atkins Physical Chemistry and many other experts,
>a system is more than just any old thing  we happen to be talking about.
>To be a system, the thing we are talking about must be *organized*.
>Another way of saying this is that all systems have emergent properties:
>i.e., properties that arise from the *internal* arrangement or ordering of
>their parts.  Arrangements or ordering of parts that are true of all of
>those parts are not internal.   I don't think your critique is specific in
>any way to the problem of defining the emergent properties of things  It
>relates generally to the definition of the primitive, "any old
>thing". Is a
>lens cloud an object?  Is an ocean wave an object?  A sand dune?  An
>organism, for that matter?    It comes up any time we try to justify the
>use of any concrete noun.  I believe that "Thing" can be a primitive
>and we
>can still have a useful discussion of what the emergent properties of a
>thing are, or are not.  An insistence on rigorous closure would be the end
>of all conversation, because we never would be able to meet the standard.
>Which, come to think of it, may be your point.  You are arguing that the
>conversation we are trying to have is impossible?
>
>If you want to see the verbal train wreck that preceded this summary, look
>below, but I don't recommend it.
>
>Oh by the way:  do you have the Bedau and Phillips book?   Do you think it
>might be possible to have an international webSeminar on it?  Colloquium?
>What would that look like?
>

>Nick
>Nicholas S. Thompson
>Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
>Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)
>http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/

Eric Charles

Professional Student and