Thus spake Rikus Combrinck circa 07/10/2009 01:00 AM:
> 1. The number of components in a Newtonian N-body system.  In the
> study of complex systems, the number of components is frequently a
> critical system property.  It is, however, entirely divorced from the
> properties of the components or relationships among them.

I disagree.  The _number_ of components in any system is purely about
relationships between components.

To see this clearly, imagine how you _measure_ the number of components
in a system.  I can think of 2 basic ways: 1) you _count_ them or 2) you
estimate the number.

If you choose (1), then you have to choose 1 from the population.  (Note
 that "population" is a relational term in itself.)  Then you have to
choose another one (without replacement, which is a relational
operator).  Now you have 1+1 = 2.  "+" is a relation.  Then you have to
choose a 3rd, again without replacement and add 2+1=3.  Etc.

If you choose method (2), then you'll have to choose some property like
volume or mass, decide how much of that respective volume or mass is
taken up by any one component (or class of components) and divide up the
volume or mass based on the ratio taken up by each (type of) component.
 Not only is this method fundamentally relational (how much space or
mass is taken up by one component in relation to another); but it's
definitely about the properties of each component as they accumulate
into the systemic property of volume or mass.

No, the number of components in a Newtonian N-body system is
_definitely_ all about the relations and interactions between the
components.  Hence, it is emergent.

> 2. A weaker one: the mass of a Newtonian N-body system.  While it
> depends on component masses, it is independent of interaction among
> components.

As above, the mass of the system is an accumulation of the masses of the
components.  In order to see that it is an emergent characteristic,
consider the methods for measuring the mass.

True, mass is _linear_ as is volume and many other characteristics
(because of the way they're measured).  But if nonlinear == emergent,
then what's the point of the less well-defined term "emergent"?

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com