From: Nicholas Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
To: friam@redfish.com
Sent: Wed, Aug 5, 2009 12:39 am
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] "manifold" in mathematics

Is an organism a manifold?

?

Do the parts have to be heterogeneous?? Dictionary definition would seem to
suggest so.? Thus a regiment would not be a manifold (except insofar as it
contains soldiers of different ranks).?

?

?

Nicholas S. Thompson

Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,

Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)

?

?

?