Rhino is great, but it only runs on Windows on x86 processor family
architecture.
Avoid Google Sketchup like the plague, its file formats do not export into
anything unless you pay for the
over priced pro version, and even at that it is far behind the thinking and
evolution of other 3d programs such as
Maya, or Blender. From the work and file formats I've seen supported by
Blender I'd recommend that for a free
open source program above many commercial products.

Generally speaking though doing seriously 3D modeling work such as is done
in film and other industries requires
having a pipeline of various tools, and they work together depending on the
task that you are doing, and the hardware requirements
are generally fairly extensive such as having higher level 3d OpenGL
graphics cards. I would say the software toolkit can easily run upwards
of $750,000, and hardware in the 50k-150k range depending on the pipelines
being created. (again all of this is way outside of the scope of
what you are looking for), but I figured I'd give things context from my
perspective.

-Simon.