From: Russ Abbott
To: nickthomp...@earthlink.net;The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee
Group
Sent: 9/17/2009 10:27:51 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Emergence Seminar II, British Emergence

It seems to me that "cause" is an extraordinarily slippery word. I'm involved
with a group of people who are looking into "Causality in Complex Systems." One
of the things I did while in Australia this summer was attend one or our
workshops.  After thinking quite a bit about causality and after arguing with a
professional Philosopher about what philosophers mean by causality, I've
decided to give up using that term.  Instead, what I'm interested in are
explanations. Even that is a difficult term to define clearly. But it seems a
lot less dangerous than causality.

Nick can explain why a triangle is rigid -- although I am taken by the notion
of an "elan triangulaire". But to come up with a "cause" for the rigidity of a
triangle? In my view that's just asking for trouble.

It's important to acknowledge, though, that Nick's explanation will presumably
be predicated on the presumption that the each of the one-by-two sides is
itself rigid. What about explaining that? (That's another example of how
levevls of abstraction build on other levels of abstraction.)

-- Russ_A

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Nicholas Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>