Clouds are aimed at enterprise computing. As an example, a project I worked
on recently was almost cancelled because the time and cost to purchase,
install, and switch on the hardware exceeded the time and cost to code the
software (3 months for a team of 5). Software development has become much
more efficient than it was several years ago....the main pain-points now are
in the infrastructure.
CIOs now want to shoot the people that run their hardware...and getting rid
of the hardware is the next step. This is possibly not very palatable to
many IT employees, which is why I think the cloud story as writ doesn't seem
compelling...they finesse the *real* business value....a lot of out-of-work
sysadmins.
Regards,
Saul

Saul Caganoff