As long as we're on AI and Math (whenever were we not) , recall that the hard problems in AI are less matters of chess and more those of the first five years of development.  Here are some mathematicians discussing same - Interesting to see how the conversation unfolds.....got some Category Theory in thar too!
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2009/12/can_fiveyearolds_compute_copro.html

Maybe we should be asking Miles and Reed about AI fundamentals.

BTW, does anyone have a copy of Drew McDermott's Critique of Pure Reason, (ie a crisp semantics does not a logic make) which is in part a critique of the Naive Physics Manifesto?

carl

Robert J. Cordingley wrote:
More on non-algorithmic computing from Penrose:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Mind

but I don't see how the brain can use quantum mechanics since it's biochemical and operates on a different scale.  Has anyone read Penrose's book and can recommend it or not (even tho' it was awarded a prize by the Royal Society)?
Robert C

Robert J. Cordingley wrote:
Didn't it take an algorithm (an Inference Engine) to process the heuristics?  Also show me some silicon that doesn't use an algorithm somewhere.  So do you suppose the Mind Machine Project is a way to break free of this computing/algorithmic model?

Robert C

Pamela McCorduck wrote:
Most of early AI was heuristics, not algorithms. Some algorithms were incorporated into expert systems, in the belief that if an algorithm could solve the problem, fine; if not, heuristics might. But it was always *might*. True, computers can't solve all problems, neither can humans.

P.

"A cold coming we had of it,
Just the worst time of the year
For a journey, and such a long journey;