Vladimyr: I am a lurker on this site listening to interesting ideas. I recently started looking into agent-based systems. I started out with a Teaching Company lecture series entitled Understanding Complexity by Prof Scott Page. He is a visiting Prof at Sante Fe. The course is just introductory content without any computational exercises. (www.TeachingCompany.com) Its a great introduction to the field. Its a nice way pass the morning commute. Dr Page suggested the following books as well:
> Agent-Based Models by Nigel Gilbert
> Simulation for the Social Scientist by Nigel Gilbert and Klaus G Troitzsch
> Complexity A Guided Tour  by Melanie Mitchell

I added another book Dr. Page was too modest to suggest: > Complex Adaptive Systems: An Into to Computational Models of Social Life.
    by John Miller and Scott Page.

I also downloaded the NetLogo system, but as yet have not installed it.
I recently came across a web-site by a regular member of this forum,
Owen Densmore.  Its at

http://complexityworkshop.com/
<http://complexityworkshop.com/>
I have not explored it yet. My background is in mortgage finance. Sorry nothing interesting like default swaps, just old fashioned commercial mortgage loans. I recently completed a degree in software engineering so I am looking forward to the programming aspects of agents. I do this on my own time, so I have been focusing on more of the background before I start the computational aspects. Steph T

Ted Carmichael wrote:
Hey, Vladimyr - I'm not in Santa Fe - I'm at UNC Charlotte, near the other coast - but I also work with complex systems and such. If you're not familiar with it, NetLogo is an excellent toolset for rapid prototyping of agent-based systems. They continually update it, it's free, and there's tons of support, so you can learn programming pretty easily in it.

A good book might be M. Mitchell's newest: Complexity: A Guided Tour. Well written and thorough. Also, I always recommend Steve Johnson's Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software. A little more towards the general audience, but some excellent examples of CAS.

I'm sure others will have some good recommends as well.

Good luck!

-Ted