Hugh,

Even if it has nothing to do with sperm it is a nifty model.

There is an idea lurking here that i dont know whether it plays a covert
role in your thinking or not, but what about the fate of a "genefur"
peletonizing.

My email program is misbehaving and my computer is about to crash so I wont
say more, now.

 Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)
http://www.cusf.org [City University of Santa Fe]

Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
> Date: 3/27/2010 10:54:41 AM
> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Sperm pelotons; article in Nature
>
> Thanks for taking a peek at my post. Great questions, and they help me to
> see how/where my descriptions can be clarified.
>
> On the paradox part - that is one of the really interesting features of a
> peloton: the energy savings effect of drafting narrows the range of
fitness
> between the strongest and weakest riders.  In contrast, think of a pack
of
> runners of varying fitness levels.  There is negligible drafting effect
-
> there is some, esp if running into a headwind, but overall it's small
enough
> that it can be ignored for this illustration.  Say there are 50 runners,
all
> separated incrementally by 1% difference in fitness; say they run a
couple
> of miles. If they all start off slowly at say the max speed of the
slowest
> runner, they can all run in a big group, separated only by enough
distance
> between them to keep them from kicking and elbowing each other.  As they
> pick up speed, the group thins into a line and are separated
incrementally
> by distances that correspond to their differences in fitness.  In the
space
> of two miles, they all finish individually in a single long line
according
> to their fitness, and it can be predicted accurately where runners will
> finish if you know their starting levels of fitness.
>
> This is not the case with a peloton.  For example at 25mph, riders can
save
> at least 25% by drafting (approx savings 1%/mph) - all the riders who are
> within 25% fitness of the fastest rider can ride together even at the max
> speed of the strongest rider.   So their fitness levels are effectively
> narrowed, and they can all finish together as a group (ie. globally
coupled
> by finishing within drafting range of each other), and so the paradox.
Part
> [...]
> occur along the way, caused by such things as course obstacles, hills
(when
> lower speeds reduce drafting advantage, but when output may be at least
as
> high), cross-winds, narrowing of the course, or short anaerobic bursts
among
> riders at the front - all of which cause splits (i.e. PDR>1 at these
> points).   In a competitive situation, instabilities occur frequently
> causing temporary splits at various places in the peloton, but these are
> often closed when the cause of the instability has ceased.  Sorting thus
> occurs according to some combination of peloton rotations in which
stronger
> riders are able to get to the front and the continual splits in the
peloton
> at points of instability and reintegrations. I would need to develop the
> model some more to show this as an equation (though I touch on a basic
> version of it in my Appendix).
>
> For sperm, I don't know what the initial state of the aggregates are when
> they begin their travels, but I am assuming (perhaps quite incorrectly),
> that there is some initial phase in which they are mixed (such as
cyclists
> on a starting line), and then they begin to sort as they increase speed.
> During the process, they aggregate like cyclists because a broader range
of
> fitness levels can aggregate together (causing an effective narrowing of
> fitness). As in a peloton, there are  instabilities that allow for
> continuous re-adjustments to the relative positions of all the sperm, and
> over time they begin to sort into groups where each have fitness levels
> closer to the average.  This is my hypothesis, at least.
>
> On the second last question, there would be an advantage to sperm among
the
> first pulse aggregation if all the pulsed aggregations do not mix first,
but
> the principles apply to each aggregation.  However, I don't know whether
> there is some other process of mixing first among all the pulses of sperm
> aggregations before they begin traveling (I imagine I could find the
answer
> in the literature), in which case there could easily be a sperm in,  say,
> the second pulse, which could end up impregnating the egg.
>
> I don't know about the kamikaze sperm - I'll leave that one for now!  But
> do remember that scene from the movie as clear as day!
>
> In any event, my aim is really to ask the question - are there energetic
and
> coupling principles that allow sperm to end up in groups which otherwise
> appear to have occurred because genetically related sperm can somehow
> identify each other?   I am really only suggesting the existence of some
> dynamics of the sperm aggregations that could be studied for, which don't

speed:
> >> travel at equal velocity while being of unequal fitness is facilitated
by
> >> coupled energy savings mechanism.  Similarly, Riedel et al (2005), and
> > Lauga
> >> and Powers (2009), for example, appear to support the notion that there
> > is
> >> in fact some form of energy savings occurring among sperm aggregates.
> >>

> >> The peloton sorting model
> >>
> >> In bicycle pelotons, drafting allows riders within a range of output
> >> capacities to sustain the same speed: weaker riders drafting can
maintain
> >> the same speed as stronger riders ahead according to the equation
> >>
> >>                         PDR = (Wa-Wb/Wa) / D*100
> >>
> >> ¡  Wa is maximum sustainable power (watts) of cyclist A at any given
> > moment
> >>
> >> ¡  Wb is maximum sustainable power of cyclist B at any given moment
> >>
> >> ¡  D/100  is the percent energy savings at the speed travelled
> >>

> >> This is referred to as the Peloton Divergence Ratio (PDR) (Trenchard,
> > 2009;
> >> 2005). Cyclists save energy by drafting at approximately 1% per mile an
> > hour
> >> (Hagberg and McCole, 1990).  So, if for example, cyclists are traveling
> > at
> >> 25 mph, they save approximately 25% energy by drafting riders ahead.
> >> Extending the illustration, if stronger cyclist A has a maximum
> > sustainable
> >> output at 400w at 25mph, and cyclist B has a maximum sustainable output
> > of
> >> 300w, cyclist B could not sustain the same speed as cyclist A if they
> > were
> >> travelling individually and without drafting.  Thus where cyclist B has
> > only
> >> 75% the output capacity of cyclist A, PDR = (400-300/400) /D*100;
PDR=1.
> [...]
> > not
> >> occur as among their faster swimming P. maniculatus counterparts.  This
> >> provides an explanation why P. polionatus sperm tend to mix
> >> indiscriminately, as the authors describe (see Table 1); i.e. the sperm
> > have
> >> adapted to swimming at less than maximum speeds as an intrinsic
> >> characteristic of monogamous species, and the sorting of sperm into
> > groups
> >> with nearly equal fitness does not occur because the critical output
> >> threshold is not reached for this to happen.
> >>
> >> Table 1 summarizes findings presented in the Fisher and Hoekstra
article
> > and
> >> provides an alternative peloton model explanation.  Fisher and Hoekstra
> > show
> >> results for three experiments involving different combinations of mouse
> >> species sperm mixes.  Table 1 summarizes both the results of the Fisher
> > and
> >> Hoekstra study, and the alternative peloton model explanation:
> >>

> >>      Test
> >>      Result
> >>      Peloton model explanation
> >>
> >>       1
> >>      Sperm from one heterospecific (P. polionotus) male and one
> > conspecific
> >> (P. maniculatus) male are mixed in vivo assay
> >>      "found that overall groups were composed of significantly more
> >> conspecific sperm than expected at random"
> >>      Sperm from each of the conspecific males exhibit closer
> > physiological
> >> fitness than as between heterospecifics; i.e. conspecific males have
> > average
> >> fitness close to each other, as do rival heterospecifics to each other
.
> >> Some sperm for each sets, however, exhibit close physiological fitness
> >> levels, and these represent the proportion of the aggregates that are
not
> >> from conspecific males. There are also percentages of each of
> >> heterospecifics and conspecifics whose fitnesses are such that they are
> >> capable of travelling with groups, but which are "trapped" in the
slower
> >> travelling groups.
> >>
> >>       2
> >>      Sperm from two unrelated male P. maniculatus, a promiscuous
species,
> >> are mixed
> >>      "sperm group significantly more often with sperm of the same male
> > than
> >> expected at random"
> >>      The explanation above applies to the related conspecific
maniculatus
> >> males
> >>
> >>       3
> >>      Sperm from two unrelated conspecific males of P. polionatus, a
> >> monogamous species, are mixed
> >>      "aggregations form indiscriminately in assays"
> >>      The speed at which these sperm aggregations travel is relevant.
It
> [...]
> > provides
> >> a reasonable alternative explanation to the formation of sperm
> > aggregrations
> >> with close average fitness, and the proposition that it is likely that
> > sperm
> >> of one male have closer average fitness than another male, whether it
is
> >> related or not.  Some proportion of the two sets of sperm will mix, but
> > at
> >> the critical threshold when sorting occurs, sperm with nearest average
> >> fitness will aggregate.
> >>
> >> In case 3, the lower vitality of monogamous sperm, as the authors'
> > finding
> >> indicate, and the smaller testes of P. polionatus suggests that sperm
> >> swimming speeds are slower and/or do not proceed at near maximal output
> >> levels.  The slower sperm speeds of monogamous species is supported by
> > other
> >> finding (Nascimento, 2008; Fitzpatrick et al. 2009), although it is not
> >> clear whether sperm are simply slower with a lesser maximum output
> > capacity,
> >> or whether they are in fact capable of swimming faster, but simply do
> > not.
> >> If the peloton model holds, then the inference is that the sperm of
> >> monogamous species are capable of swimming faster but do not do so and,
> > as a
> >> result, are less likely to reach the critical output threshold by which
> > they
> >> will sort into sub-aggregates that contain sperm of near equal fitness
> >> levels.  These relative speeds and output levels should be investigated
> > and
> >> confirmed.
> >>

> >> Conclusion
> >>
> >> The analysis here presents an alternative hypothesis for the findings
> >> presented in the Fisher and Hoekstra article. Based upon analogous
> > behavior
> >> observed in bicycle-pelotons, it provides an analytical and
experimental
> >> framework by which existing data could be re-analyzed or further
> > experiments
> >> conducted to test for the observations and principles outlined.
> >>
> >> References
> >>

> >> FRIAM email listserv Feb 12, 2010, R. Critchlow. Vertical axis
windmills
> > and
> >> sperm pelotons.
> >>

> >> Hagberg, J. and McCole, S. 1990.  The effect of drafting and
aerodynamic
> >> equipment on energy expenditure during cycling. Cycling Science 2:20.
> >>
> >> Immler, S., Harry D.M. Moore, H., William G. Breed, W., Birkhead, R.
> > (2007).
> >> By Hook or by Crook? Morphometry, Competition and Cooperation in Rodent
> >> Sperm, PLoS ONE. 2(1): e170.
> >>
> >> Published online 2007 January 24.
> >>

> >> Lauga, E., Powers, T. The hydrodynamics of swimming microorganisms.
Rep.
> >> Prog. Phys. 72 (2009) 096601
> >>

> >> Moore, H., Dvorakova, K., Jenkins, N. Breed., W. (2002). Exceptional
> > sperm
> >> cooperation in the wood mouse. Nature 418, 174-177
> >>

> >> Nascimento JM, et al.(2008) The use of optical tweezers to study sperm
> >> competition and motility in primates. J R Soc Inter 5:297-302.
Published
> >> online 2007 July 24. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2007.1118.
> >>
> >> Fitzpatrick, J., Montgomerie, R., Desjardins, J., Kelly, S., Kolm, N.,
> >> Balshine, S. Female promiscuity promotes the evolution of faster sperm
in
> >> cichlid fishes PNAS January 27, 2009 vol. 106 no. 4 1128-1132
> >>

> >> Riedel, et al. 2005. A Self-Organized Vortex Array of Hydrodynamically
> >> Entrained Sperm Cells
> >>
> >> Science 8 July 2005: 300-303
> >>
> >> Trenchard, H., Mayer-Kress, G.  (2005) Self-organized oscillator
coupling
> >> and synchronization in bicycle pelotons during mass-start bicycle
racing.
> >> Intl Conference on Control and Synchronization of Dynamical Systems.
Oct