From: ERIC P. CHARLES
To: Nicholas Thompson
Cc: Hugh Trenchard; Friam@redfish.com
Sent: 3/29/2010 11:13:31 AM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Sperm pelotons; article in Nature

But Nick,
Hugh's point is that we DO NOT need trait-group selection to explain the
clustering sperm. We merely need sperm to swim in the same direction, AND have
a variety of abilities. Given that alone, Hugh thinks he can prove, sperm will
cluster based on their swimming abilities (which he calls 'fitness'). Thus I
(captial 'I') declare that the real empirical question is whether or not
sperm-in-clusters are more genetically similar than Hugh's model would predict.
Only if THAT were true, would we conclude that group selection was involved, as
the authors of the Nature article have claimed. That is, the authors of the
Nature article have a flawed notion of what would happen by chance if sperm
were swimming along without 'relatedness' detectors, and hence they have a
flawed 'null hypothesis', and hence they have a flawed statistical test.

(This is all in the same sense that Schank's models have convincingly
demonstrated that the results of so-called 'menstrual synchrony' research are
exactly what you would expect due to chance. Those who think they showed
'menstrual synchrony' just have a flawed notion of what happens by chance.)

Eric

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 12:30 PM, "Nicholas Thompson" <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>