Hi Glen,
You did an admirable job of trying to be reasonable. Sarbajit may sound edgy
but in large part he is essentially pointing to something substantive. He
may embellish and inflame but nevertheless your response indicates your own
awareness of the same issues.

What disturbs me is that both of you appear to be idealists. You are
protecting ideals and seem prepared to tolerate some level of corruption.
 Sarbajit feels betrayed and wishes to condemn all that is tainted.

While both of you are distracted the corruption continues undiminished.

The corruption has been there since the very beginning and it is impossible
for an ideal system to be constructed that is immune to corruption.

I have been much possessed by the nature of corruptible systems. I have a
very uncomfortable suspicion that any system capable of evolution is
corruptible and in fact evolution is simply corruption, the positive or
negative attributes are simply the consequence of observer perspective.

The notion is uncomfortable, and perhaps demonstrable with computer
simulations. I propose that all complex systems are corruptible and in fact
it is a property of all systems capable of evolving. No doubt some one else
has already reached the same conclusion so it is not my idea.

If as some would suggest, all complex systems are broken and can function
with damaged subsystems, that then implies that corruption is a tolerable
defect and occasionally beneficial.

As Sarbajit has pointed out, the system has more than a Single Point of
Failure SPOF. And that the identification of SPOF's has inevitably failed to
contend with systemic flaws. In fact focusing on SPOF's may actually create
more in a perverse feed back loop.

A classic example was the discovery that the only way to keep Spitfire
pilots alive in air battles was to get rid of the armour. It gave them speed
and added enormous fear to the pilot's performances. Today such a solution
seems absolutely politically incorrect. Every incremental increase of armour
had led to more deaths.

Science has always been at the mercy of the rich and powerful.

Quoting my Brother, "We are all just mercenaries building Pyramids to
inflate the ego's of the pharaohs.If we weren't good at it they would
dispose of us next time the Crown changes Hands"

Dr.Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax