Thank you for the welcome, and thank you also to any of you who attended
Melanie Mitchell's talk or any of the other talks today.

I don't have this particular book, however your examples are found in other
Rosen books such as the Dynamical System Theory in Biology volume from 1970.
I'm surmising that the Life Itself book must be a summary of previous works.

I cannot argue that there isn't a decidedly physics-based bent in construction
of various points.  A section on scaling in a different volume uses set
theoretic notation as a starting point which seems strange.  But, as in
picking stocks, the hindsight view is superior.  Rosen's companion volume
on Cellular Systems was published from the "Center for Theoretical
Biology," in the earlier 70s this must have been among the first such
institutions formed.  In contrast, nearly 20 years later, Manfred Schroeder's
1991 Fractals, Chaos, Power Laws book gives an excellent and thorough treatment
of scaling and similarity.  And you probably have your different favorite
as well.

Having said that, I'm somewhat neutral because I haven't absorbed enough to
make more
than observational rather than critical statements.  The initial things I have
read were intriguing, in particular one of the online essays details the idea
of anticipatory systems.

Leigh

On 07 Apr 2010 at 02:10 PM, John Kennison related