Thanks, Grant and Owen, for the votes of confidence. Concerning complex
adaptive systems, I would have to define a CAS in such a way that it can be
interpreted in any topos --then see if we can analyze CAS's by working in a
topos.

Currently I am working on finding cycles. The idea is that we have a system
which can be in different states. Let S be the "set of all states that the
system can be in". Let t:S to S be a "transition function" so that if the
system is now in state x, then, in the next time unit, it will be in state
t(x). I then look for cycles (such as t(a) = b, t(b) = c, t(c) = a, so that
t^3(a)=t(t(t(a)))=a --or, more generally, states x for which t^n(x)=x for some
n, where t^n(x) = t(t(t(     t(x))))))  iterating t n times. Then I can map the
system in "the best possible way" into a topos where it becomes cyclic, meaning
that for every x there is some n with t^n(x)=x. So n would be a whole number in
the topos, but whole numbers can jump around and be 3 in some places and 5 in
other places, etc.

Just exploring this set-up has occupied me since 2001, and I have published 3
papers on it in the TAC (a web-based journal).

I'll say more and put it in a PDF file, so I  can arrows and exponents and keep
tabbing and spacing the way I intended it.

---John