From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Russ
Abbott [russ.abb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:50 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Real-world genetic algorithm example... help!

It's not a good example as an illustration of GA because (1) the "selection"
mechanism to move from one generation to the next is essentially select the
best and shake it up. At best you might call that elitism plus mutation. But it
is not representative of GA. (2) it has no explicit representation of the
genome (3) there are no explicit genetic operators applied to one or more
parents to produce children.

The issue of whether there is mutation points out that there is no coop genome
that is being evolved. Since there is no coop genome, it's hard to say that
there is or is not mutation. It certainly isn't a good illustration of mutation
for a textbook.

You might make the case that the coop genome is the collection of the chicken
genomes and that the offspring coop genome is generated from the parent coop
genome by breeding the chickens. I guess you could call that mutation of the
coop genome.So the mutation operator on the parent coop genome is to breed the
chickens to get a new coop genome. But I think that's about as far as you could
push it.

If I were forced to describe this in GA terms, I would say that the coop genome
is the sequence, in some arbitrary order, of chicken genomes. To get an
offspring, take a coop genome and treat the segments that correspond to
individual chickens as separate genomes, mate them to get offspring, and then
concatenate the genomes of the resulting offspring to get a new coop genome.
I've never heard of a genetic operator like that, but I guess that doesn't mean
you couldn't claim it as a genetic operator.

The bottom line for me though is that the experiment is great biology, but it's
a pretty limited and confusing example of a GA.

-- Russ Abbott

  Professor, Computer Science

  cell:  310-621-3805
  blog: http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
  vita:  http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Ted Carmichael