The simplest and most accessible tool for non-programmers to create a network
diagram is probably NodeXL (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/), which is a free
plug-in to Excel 2007.  I've just started playing around with this and it is
pretty neat.  What's really nice about it is that it works off of a tool that
many people are already familiar with (Excel) and can take advantage of all of
Excel's capabilities.  Plus you can see the data in the spreadsheet right next
to the graph -- click on a node in the graph and the spreadsheet highlights the
row with the data on that node, and vice versa, click on the node data in the
spreadsheet and the node and its links are highlighted in the graph.  This tool
should allow the original requestor to color links different ways based on the
type of relationship, and then filter to see subsets of those relationships
(e.g., just "works for: or "donated money to").

The University of Maryland Human-Computer Interaction Lab has links to a bunch
of freely available graph visualization tools they've developed (including
NodeXL): http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/graphvis/

A couple of free web-based options are Many Eyes
(http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/), which definitely does network
diagrams (although I'm not sure how pretty they are), and Tableau Public
(http://www.tableausoftware.com/public/), which may not do graphs, but can
certainly do some really neat things with data analysis.  However, I believe
both of these options force you to make your raw data public as well (or at
least what's needed to create the visualization), which may or may not be
what they're looking for.  The non-free version of Tableau doesn't have that
requirement.  I don't believe there's a commercial version of Many Eyes yet
(although I'm sure IBM would be happy to sell you something if you asked).

Brent