As I recall, Russia's worst economic problem in the mid-1990s was that
the ruble's convertibility was as bad internally as externally.

I've just finished reading Liaquat Ahamed's Pulitzer Prize-winning
"Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World" (Benjamin Strong,
Montagu Norman, Emile Moreau & Hjalmar Schacht). Fascinating read on
the years just prior to WW1, the consequences of Versailles, the
mirage of the Gold Standard and the go-go years leading to the Great
Depression.

Interestingly enough, Germany just made its final Great War reparation
payment last month.

Scott