From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of glen e. p. ropella
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:56 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Case for a Literary Education (re 10 Best...)

lrudo...@meganet.net wrote  circa 10/14/2010 10:31 AM:
> Having
> myself come to the conclusion that _The American Scholar_ was a piece
> of shit (during at least part of Epstein's tenure as editor), I have
> good reason to conclude that he's not a very good editor, pretty good
> reason (I think) to discount what he has to say about the value of a
> "literary education", and very good reason (independent of such
> discounting) to conclude that his taste and mine differ a great deal.

Saying someone's work is a piece of shit is entirely different from saying
someone's taste is different from yours or accusing the subject of a non
sequitur.  The former isn't the slightest bit constructive and, indeed, is
destructive and petulant.  The latter is, at least, somewhat respectful in
the sense that it helps the reader know that, if they like Lee's work, then
they may not like Joseph's work, indeed Joseph's work might be a waste of
time for that person.  And it's always helpful to know where your time might
be wasted.  I suppose the former is _useful_ in the sense that it decreases
Lee's credibility (because he calls things he dislikes "shit") and may, in
fact, make Joseph's work more attractive.

I'm fascinated with our tendency to fling insults back and forth at each
other, especially in these times of extreme political partisanship.
Because this discussion is about credibility, I'll say that it would be
interesting to study the extent to which "attack" or "negative"
political ads lower the credibility of their target versus when (beyond what
threshold) they actually lower the credibility of the supposed beneficiary.
Does anyone know of any studies that target that sort of "blowback"?

Here in Oregon, we're seeing lots of political attack ads.  For the most
part, to me, they increase the credibility of the attacked and decrease the
credibility of the attacker, just as Lee's empty comment piques my curiosity
in Joseph's work.  The more others insult the target and make empty comments
or call them names, the more I tend to think they had something valuable to
say and their opponents are just "lashing out"
with no real justification for their own position.  Those expositions that
avoid empty rhetoric and try to pinpoint, specifically, a distinction
between the attacker and the attacked, increase the credibility of the
attacker and decrease the credibility of the attacked.

In any case, it's an interesting dynamic.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com