To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Economy vs. ecology, er

The acts that organisms take, merely in the course of living from one day to the next, tend to be under-emphasized in relation to the acts of reproducing. But the input-output relations of ecology should correspond fairly nicely to the input-output relations of the economy, if either were a well-formed technical theory. In economics, input-output goes under the names Leontief I/O theory, or closely related von Neumann-Gale growth theory. I have often wished that either had more of the strictness of chemical input/output relations -- at least where such are warranted -- but that is not yet the case, as both fields have been more interested in the flexibility afforded by innovation than in the constraints that limit the landscape.

In terms of what organisms do to each other, whether intentionally or inadvertently, there are the two names "Niche Construction" and "ecosystem engineering". The first has a book by Laland, Odling-Smee, and Feldman. It's a big area, and the book only opens the topic, but it's a start. Many of the ideas are general enough that they are equally comfortable in the economy, which is, as you say, part of the global ecosystem.