Ecology has no Contracts , no Enforcers and no Guilt nor Punishment.
All are rewarded with death. Every problem is solved with death. The players
or actors treat each other as threats or opportunities. There is no shared
consciousness. All actions are driven by Fear, or Hunger.
Ecology is a theft based system and that is in part why economics is a
rationalized mess trying to hide its origins. This idealization of the
Natural is a devious method of unraveling civilization to restore basic
selfishness. It is Natural to be Selfish. It is unnatural to be Ethical.

Starting at the lowest level of picking fruit and having a "Bowel Movement"
there are no willing participants. Ecology is made up of solipsistic
entities with no awareness of a group dynamic. There are the powerful and
then there are the edible. The fact that most ecological systems were
relatively closed allowed for some measure of stability. When humans intrude
into a stable system the new exploitation takes great adjustment before
reaching stability. Native societies can survive in harmony with nature at
very low population densities. There is a price to pay , high infant
mortality and reduced lifespans. (No IPods). I think economic theory is
uniquely human and though components appear derived from ecological
principles this is minor. No other species attempts to regulate itself in
opposition to selfish interests. I admit our success is questionable but the
intent is definitely something uniquely Human and definitely no longer
solipsistic.

There is great danger in idealizing ecology as more pure than human
economics. Theft and murder are intrinsic to ecology as is waste pollution
and wreckless damages. The fact that any ecosystems ever stabilized is
marvelous but human beings can not emulate such a system and adhere to
civilized ideals.

Certainly we can model ecology, but why do we imagine we have anything
relevant to learn about economics? Perhaps we can better understand the
consequences of our appetites but we should not idealize ecology.

I worry that the transformation of the discussion towards specific terms
such as demand driven or supply driven is fallacious. The solipsists will
eat as much as they can until they despoil the region. Our economics should
be based on enhancing life without endangering it further. If an Australian
farmer needs to eradicate Mice he should do so in a manner that does not
leave residual consequences. If we need to compete with rats to improve
grain production in India we have the power to do so. There was no need for
a Right since ecology does not dispense rights or entitlements. Rats had no
regret about the destruction of the Dodo bird. If we use economics to give
ourselves the supposed freedom to annihilate a species as the rat has done
then it is just trickery. That trickery serves only to assuage our guilt
over behaving like rats. On the other hand if we use intellect to find a
moral or ethical balance that would distinguish us from every other living
agent.  We struggle so hard to give ourselves the right to act like rats
while deluding ourselves that we are nearer to the Almighty.

Ecology works because every living thing is rewarded with death. It is so
Draconian that there is no point in acting responsibly or ethically. The
good and the bad are treated equally. Idealizing nature should be confined
to poetry and decorative arts and should not intrude upon human economics.
We are as humans attempting to find a middle ground between opposing evils.

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax