Russ Abbott wrote circa 10-12-02 03:04 PM:
> This (from another
> article<http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/57851/#ixzz16zxXUGXe>)
> looks like a significant part of the answer.
> [...]
> In fact, its similarity to phosphorus and its instability partly explains
> why arsenic is so toxic. The body may not be able to distinguish between
> phosphate -- the most common form of phosphorus in organisms -- and its
> arsenic equivalent, arsenate. As a result, scientists suspect that arsenate
> can be incorporated into molecules and pathways that normally use phosphate,
> causing downstream processes to fail if the arsenate molecules are quick to
> break down or otherwise don't work properly.

I think this block of text from the original article is more indicative
of the importance[*] of the find:

"Although AsO_4^3- esters are predicted to be orders of
magnitude less stable than PO_4^3- esters, at least for simple
molecules (8), GFAJ-1 can cope with this instability. The
vacuole-like regions observed in GFAJ-1 cells when growing
under +As/-P conditions are potentially poly-β-
hydroxybutyrate rich [as shown in other Halomonas species
(19)] which may stabilize As(V)-O-C type structures because
non-aqueous environments appear to promote slower
hydrolysis rates for related compounds (8). We propose that
intracellular regions or mechanisms that exclude water may
also promote this stability."

The keyword being "non-aqueous".

[*] FWIW, I find it odd for you to ask, of this particular article, "why
is this important?"  Of all the obscure, mumbo-jumbo journal articles
out there (our discussion of PoMo aside ;-), it seems blatantly obvious
to me that the substitution of As for P in DNA is important, even if we
don't know what the implications are.  I am woefully ignorant of the
literature, though.  Is it fairly common to find and report substitutes
for DNA components?