Hi, Russ!

One reason it is important is that it demonstrates that "life as we
know it" has a broader definition that previously thought.

It means that if we find an earth-like planet out there, except with
more arsenic than phosphorus -- in other words, a poisonous-to-us
planet -- we might still find life on that planet. The number of
planets that might support life-as-we-think-we-know-it just increased
significantly.

~~James