OK.  I can take your point.  However, my objection is not to
_recommendation_.  My objection is to the "error free" part ... or even
just the "error" part.

I recommend papers that contain errors all the time.  Hell, since I'm a
programmer, and since no code is bug free, I actually _sell_ buggy code!
 Can you believe that?  What a hit to my reputation! ;-)  Even more
pointedly, you guys just finished a math seminar where one of the
primary topics was that what gets published doesn't reflect the actual
thought processes that led up to the published part!  Why?  Because we
don't get to see the "errors".  Hiding the errors is effectively the
same as hiding the core idea.  It's at least equivalent to hiding the
process by which smart people actually think.

The point isn't about recommendations, it's about the presumption and
arrogance that "our journal has fewer errors than yours".  Now, I'm all
for curation.  But I'm also a big believer in _dissent_.  I'm OK with
everyone calling me a wacko or idiot; but I'm not OK with shutting up us
wackos and idiots by restricting the media to words spoken only by the wise.

So, I like your ideas for recommendation and would participate or help
set it up if there's any traction to it.  But I dislike the idea of
"defending an archive from errors".  That's well described by "throwing
the baby out with the bath water."

Oh, since you plugged your papers, I'll plug our most recent one:

   Cloud Computing and Validation of Expandable In Silico Livers
   http://www.biomedcentral.com/1752-0509/4/168/abstract

It's not rocket science and I'm sure it contains "errors" (the first few
we submitted were obliterated by the reviewers, bless their hearts); but
at least it's available for criticism. ;-)  Oh, and you can comment on
the journal's website, too!

-glen