Well, not quite so fast, Glen!

Look.  How many papers do you read a day?  How do you decide which papers to
read?

You can form an organization of like-minded folks that puts before you only
the papers that that organization thinks are good.  (i.e., an archival
Journal)

You can set up some "wisdom-of-the-crowd" scheme that votes on which papers
are good.

Not clear to me whether I fear the authoritarian way any more than I fear
mob psychology.

For most authors, the disagreeable fact is that a lot of people are reading
a few papers, and most papers are not read by anybody

Perhaps it's the J-distribution of hits on papers we should be worrying
about.

Perhaps we need a paper evaluation system that's more like Pandora: You get
what you ask for, except that every once in a while the system throws you a
song by an obscure composer,  just to keep you honest.  I have often
wondered if FRIAM (or the sfcomplex) could set itself up as a "Journal".
An author has a new paper, and sends it to the list.  It goes up on an
internal website and people start assigning stars and making comments.  When
it reaches a threshold of "stardom" it goes up on a public website.  The
author can set the star-threshhold.  (In otherwords, if the author wants to
"publish" a paper that his fellow FRIAM members think is shitty,  he sets
the threshold real low.)  Readers of the public website can set a star
threshold, below which the data base will not display a paper for them.
However, by common agreement, the data base is rigged so that it slips
readers a non conforming paper randomly about ten percent of the time.

        For a sampling of some lovely papers that have not been read by
anybody (}:-[), please visit:

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Clark University