Douglas Roberts wrote  circa 01/03/2011 08:00 PM:
> Fuck 'em.  There are 1,426 other mirrors, plus uncounted "stealth"
> mirrors out there ready to go live if needed.

That misses the point, though.  It's not about Wikileaks.  It's about
the (some particular, not all) corporations and the systemic culture of
fear.  It's about SiteGround and SoftLayer and their choosing to shut
down a customer just because they can ... or because they fear the
consequences of [gasp] siding with their customer.

The same thing happened with AT&T et al regarding the warrant-less wire
tapping thing.  The customers of the big corporations have their privacy
violated; then those same customers roll right over and buy a bunch of
AT&T locked iPhones!  That'll sure discourage AT&T's bad behavior, eh?

That's the point.  Paying attention to who exhibits good behavior and
who exhibits bad behavior (especially when aliases abound and actors are
embedded in layer upon layer of obfuscating shells) takes more effort
than simply mirroring some one-off set of documents.  We have to reward
good behavior and avoid or penalize bad behavior.

It's important to at least _identify_ SiteGround and SoftLayer as the
bad guys, along with Amazon, Paypal, Visa, MasterCard, etc.  I'm almost
free of Paypal.  I still have to use Amazon for work; but I no longer
buy anything personal through them.  I haven't found a way to rid myself
of Visa and MasterCard; but I'm trying.

On the one hand, such constraints limit me in what seem to be important
ways.  E.g. Not buying MP3s from Amazon means I may have to buy actual
CDs, with a bunch of wasteful one-use plastic and the costs of shipping
(not just my out of pocket but also the carbon footprint of shipping
from, say, Europe).  Or, e.g., not using Dropbox, because it relies on
Amazon, may force me to maintain my rsync-over-ssh nightmare. [grin]
But I'd rather make my life more interesting or simple, than reward
people for their bad behavior.

I am currently looking for a new (cheaper) VPS provider.  And I now know
I will _not_ use SiteGround or SoftLayer.

--
glen