Agreed! Work, constraint, cause, etc. were all words long before Newton (if we
are willing to translate them, many centuries before). Newton gave them very
technical meanings in his system, but the technical meanings were "just" a
matter of making more strict the common meanings.

We could, if we wanted to, try to find psychological analogs closest to
Newton's meanings, or we could try use the looser (but related) common
meanings. In either case, the short answer to Vladimyr's question is that
people using these terms to talk about psychological systems want them to mean
the same things they mean when talking about physical systems. So, some want
them want the words to be very technical terms, others want them to carry the
connotation of general usage. It should be obvious to anyone using the terms
that any such usage is highly metaphorical; should be, but for some reason it
is not.

Beyond that, as Nick pointed out, they weren't my words of choice. Personally,
I think psychology would be a lot better off if we minimized such talk as much
as possible. Claims like "beliefs constrain intentions" seem strange and
potentially vacuous to me. Even if it is not totally vacuous, the amount of
intellectual work we would have to do to unpack the claim makes me think it is
not worth it, and I would suspect that there was probably a much more
straightforward and empirically tractable claim that the claimant could make
instead (maybe something like; "Past experience determines a large proportion
of the variance in future actions," or "verbal behavior is a somewhat reliable
predictor of the way future actions will be directed").

I am reminded of the long arguments psychologists have over whether some third
factor is a "moderator" or a "mediator" of a known effect. Surely this is a
useful distinction, but probably not one worth the amount of time and effort
put into it. Further, the problem could probably be solved completely by
dedicating a full sentence to the role of the third factor, rather than trying
to come to consensus on magical one-word specialized terms.

Eric

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 02:23 PM, plissa...@comcast.net wrote:

>Come on, Peoples!  Work is DEFINED in Newtonian mechanics as being done "when
a force moves its point of application".  Thass all - and plenty enuff!  So you
lift a box up to a shelf - you doing work, as defined by Isaac, the Laborers
Union and most Plain Folks.  You put a whiskey jigger on a pool table - it and
the table move, a very leetle bit, and work be done by gravity.

>Railroad lines represent useful constraints to freight cars.  Thanks to them
the car becomes an "object that moves in predestinate grooves"!  The car is
subject to acceleration due to all forces acting on it, but the rails try to
keep it from cross track motion.  They does their best -  to the extent that
they are capable.

>You may generalize the technical terms "force", "work" and "constraint" as far
as you like.  After all, they had meaning in language long before they were
"defined" by Newton and La Grange for specific mechanical concepts.  St. Paul
(2 nd Corinthians III, 14) said: "The love of Christ constraineth us".  I dunno
what he meant, but the nice thing about the Bible is that you can choose for
yourself what it means!

>It seems helpful to note that the tracks constrain the response of the cars to
applied forces (more or less!).  It's useful and human to employ the word in a
more general sense, and it probably means roughly the same thing to most
people. And if not, who cares?  "What's in a name?" as someone said!
>Peter Lissaman, Da Vinci Ventures
>
>Expertise is not knowing everything, but knowing what to look for.
>
>1454 Miracerros Loop South, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505,USA
>tel:(505)983-7728

Eric Charles

Professional Student and
Assistant Professor of Psychology