I'll take a stab at Russ's question, "What's the analogous force (or
other explanation) for void filling in evolution?"

Dawkins presents what seemed to me a helpful way of seeing why
mutations are usually lethal. He invents a multidimensional space in
which a point represents a possible living creature, whose attributes
are coordinates on each of the very large number of axes (e.g. length,
mass, number of legs, etc.) He points out that this space is
enormously empty, as most points represent creatures that are not
viable. Moreover, any mutation that represents a big jump in this
multidimensional space takes you to a point in that space representing
a nonviable creature.

Viable creatures are represented by clouds of neighboring points,
surrounded by vast empty spaces. New species (to the extent that
"species" is a meaningful term) to be viable will be near these
clouds. If a cloud is densely occupied, a new species will most likely
be found just outside the cloud, exploiting an until-now "void" but
with only small changes from the attributes of existing creatures in
this grouping.

In this metaphor it seems to me that void-filling is "driven"
essentially "entropically" -- to exploit a larger space. The analogy
would be a gas confined in a small portion of a large empty box.
Remove the barriers, and it looks to the observer as though the gas is
"driven" to fill the void. But at a micro level all you see is
molecules running around randomly, sometimes colliding with other
molecules or the walls. According to mechanical laws, the gas could
continue to occupy a small portion of the otherwise empty box, or
return to such a configuration after making excursions. But there are
so many more ways of arranging the molecules to exploit the entire
space of the box that there is a crushingly large probability any time
you look in the future of finding the box completely filled. In the
process of this filling, it "looks" to the observer as though the gas
is "driven" by some "force" to occupy the large space. But that's an
illusion. Or you can I suppose define an equivalent "entropic force"
doing the driving.

Incidentally, when I only recently read The Origin of Species I was
struck by how much ecology there is in the book. At one point Darwin
specifically says that one of the largest influences driving the
evolution of species is the other species in the environment. And the
last few pages are a wonderfully lyrical paean to an ecological view
of interacting organisms (his English river bank).

Bruce Sherwood

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:13:53 EDT 2011