From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Prof David West
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:56 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] What evolves?

Steve,

Yes, I think co-evolution is as 'simple as declaring them to be singular
(taken as a whole subsystem ...).'  But that does not make the issue itself
simple.  And there are other consequences - the need to abandon the
arbitrary distinction between "living" and "non-living" things.
Co-evolutuion cannot be restricted to networks of relations among predator
and prey, but must also include average-daily-temperature and percent of
nitrogen in surface soil.

I remember reading years ago (I will find a reference) about the origins of
life, not in a lightning powered primordial soup, but in clay - and the
formation of complex molecules, ala amino acids, and the transition between
that which was perceived as 'non-living' to that which was perceived as
'living' that is germane to the above.

davew

On Tue, 10 May 2011 16:11 -0600, sasm...@swcp.com wrote:
> [...]
> > evolves.
> >
> > 2- what originally evolved was a book or scroll - i.e. it unrolled -
> > hence it evolved; or a flower - which unfolded hence evolved.
> >
> > 3- a human evolves - according to homunculus theory of embryology
> > - by unfolding - first level of metaphoric conscription of evolution
> > as unrolling.
> >
> > 4- things go awry when evolvution is metaphorically applied to the
> > plural - e.g. taxa, species.  To make it work the plural must be
> > reified as singular.
> >
> > 5- an error of a different sort is made when evolution is applied to
> > society or some other multi-component system which is singular and
> > therefore can evolve (unfold) in the original sense of the word.
> > The error is forgetting that there is really only one system (The
> > Universe if it is granted that there is only one, or The Infinite
> > Infinity of Universes of Universes if you want to go all quantum on
> > me) - all other named systems are arbitrarily defined subsets that
> > are still part of the whole - an encapsulation error.
> >
> > 6- yet another error is made - as Nick points out - when a
> > subjective value scale is super-imposed on the sequence of
> > arbitrarily defined stages or states, e.g. when the last word of the
> > book is more profound than the first simply because it was the last
> > revealed - or the bud is somehow less than the blossom because it
> > came first in a sequence). [Aside: Anthropology as a "scientific"
> > discipline filled hundreds of museums with thousands of skulls all
> > carefully arranged in rows in order to prove that the brain
> > contained within the skulls reached its 'evolutionary'
> > apex with 19th century northern European males.]
> >
> > 7- devolution - if allowed at all - would reflect a similar
> > superimposition of values in a curve instead of a straight line -
> > e.g. the bud is less than the blossom but the blossom devolves into
> > a withered remnant of less value than either.
> >
> > dave west
> >

> > On Tue, 10 May 2011 11:03 -0600, "Nicholas  Thompson"
> > <nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Steve:
> >

> > This is sort of fun:  Which is more advanced; a horse=E2=80=99s hoof
> > or a human hand.?
> >

> > Answer: the hoof is way more advanced.  (Actually I asked the
> > question wrong, it should have been horses
> > =E2=80=9Cforearm=E2=80=9D)
> >

> > Why?  Because the word =E2=80=9Cadvanced=E2=80=9D means just
> > =E2=80=9Calter= ed from the ancestral structure that gave rise to
> > both the hoof and the hand.=E2=80=9D  That ancestral structure was a
> > hand-like paw, perhaps like that on a raccoon, only a few steps back
> > from our own hand.
> > The horse=E2=80=99s hoof is a single hypertrophied fingernail on a
> > hand where every other digit has shrunk to almost nothing.  Many
> > more steps away.  Humans are in many ways very primitive creatures.
> > Viruses are very advanced, having lost everything!  Our Maker is

&quot;Nicholas&nbsp;
> > Thompson&quot;
> &lt;nickthomp...@earthlink.net&gt; wrote:</div>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D">Steve:<o:p></o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D">This is sort of fun:&nbsp; Which is more
> advanced; a horse&rsquo;s hoof or a human hand.?
> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>

style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quo
t;;color:#1F497D">Answer:
> the hoof is way more advanced.&nbsp; (Actually I asked the question
> wrong, it should have been horses &ldquo;forearm&rdquo;)&nbsp;
> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D">Why?&nbsp;
> Because the word &ldquo;advanced&rdquo; means just &ldquo;altered from
> the ancestral structure that gave rise to both the hoof and the
> hand.&rdquo;&nbsp; That ancestral structure was a&nbsp; hand-like paw,
> perhaps like that on a raccoon, only a few steps back from our own
> hand.&nbsp; The horse&rsquo;s hoof is a single hypertrophied
> fingernail on a hand where every other digit has shrunk to almost
> nothing.&nbsp; Many more steps away.&nbsp; Humans are in many ways
> very primitive creatures.&nbsp; Viruses are very advanced, having lost
> everything! &nbsp;Our Maker is given to irony.&nbsp;
> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D">Nick<o:p></o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF
> > 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt
> 0in 0in 0in">
class="me48497MsoNormal">
style="font-weight: bold"><span
> style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-seri
> f&quot;;color:windowtext">From:</span></span><span
> style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-seri
> f&quot;;color:windowtext"> friam-boun...@redfish.com
> [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] <span
> style="font-weight: bold">On Behalf Of </span>Steve Smith<br />
style="font-weight: bold">Sent:</span> Tuesday, May
> > 10, 2011
> 10:12 AM<br />
style="font-weight: bold">To:</span> The Friday
> > Morning
> Applied Complexity Coffee Group<br />
style="font-weight: bold">Subject:</span> Re: [FRIAM]
> > What
> evolves?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
> >                                             <o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
> >                                             Dear old bald guy with big
eyebrows (aka Nick)..<br />
> >                                             I&#39;m becoming an old bald
guy myself with earlobes that are
> > sagging
> and a nose that continues to grow despite the rest of his face not so
> much.&nbsp; I look forward to obtaining eyebrows even half as
> impressive as yours!&nbsp;&nbsp; Now *there* is some personal
> evolution!&nbsp; To use a particular vernacular, &quot;You&#39;ve got
> a nice rack there Nick!&quot;<br />
> >                                             I really appreciate your
careful outline of this topic, it is
> > one of
> the ones I&#39;m most likely to get snagged on with folks who *do*
> want to use the world evolution (exclusively) to judge social or
> political (or
> personal)
> change they approve/disapprove of.&nbsp;&nbsp; I appreciate Victoria
> asking this question in this manner, it is problematic in many social
> circles to use Evolution in it&#39;s more strict sense.<br />
> >                                             I have been trained not to
apply a value judgment to evolution
> > which
> of course obviates any use of it&#39;s presumed negative of
> devolution.&nbsp; At the same time, there are what appear to be
> &quot;retrograde&quot; arcs of evolution...&nbsp; biological
> evolution, by definition, is always adaptive to changing conditions
> which may lead one arc of evolution to be reversed in some
> sense.&nbsp;<br />
> >                                             When pre-aquatic mammals who
evolved into the cetaceans we
> > know today
> (whales and dolphins) their walking/climbing/crawling/grasping
> appendages returned to functioning as swimming appendages.&nbsp; One
> might consider that a retrograde bit of evolution.&nbsp; That is not
> to say that being a land inhabitant is &quot;higher&quot; than a water
> inhabitant and that the cetaceans are in any way &quot;less
> evolved&quot; than their ancestors,&nbsp; they are simply evolved to
> fit more better into their new niche which selects for appendages for
> swimming over appendages for land locomotion.<br />
> >                                             Nevertheless, is there not a
measure of &quot;progress&quot;
> > in the
> biosphere?&nbsp; Do we not see the increasing complexity (and
> heirarchies) of
> the biosphere to be somehow meaningful, positive, more robust?&nbsp;
> Would the replacement of the current diversity of species on the
> planet to a small number (humans, cows, chickens, corn, soybeans,
> cockroaches) be in some sense retrograde evolution in the
> biosphere?&nbsp;&nbsp; Or to a single one (humans with very clever
> nanotech replacing the biology of the planet)? In this description I
> think I&#39;m using the verb evolve to apply to the object terran
> biosphere.<br />
> >                                             Since I was first exposed to
the notion of the co-evolution of
> species, I have a hard time thinking of the evolution of a single
> species independent of the biological niche it inhabits and shapes at
> the same time.&nbsp; In this context the only use of
> &quot;devolve&quot; or &quot;retrograde evolution&quot; I can imagine
> is linked to complexity again...&nbsp; a biological niche whose major
> elements die off completely somehow seems like a retrograde
> evolution... the pre-desert Sahara perhaps?&nbsp; The Interglacial
> tundras?&nbsp; The inland seas when they become too briny (and
> polluted) to support life?&nbsp;<br />
> >                                             I know that all this even is
somehow anthropocentric, so maybe
> > I&#39;m
> undermining my own position (that there might be a meaningful use of
> evolution/devolution).<br />
> >                                             - Steve (primping the 3 wild
hairs in his left eyebrow)<br />
> [...]
> properties that some people approve of is increasing hierarchical
> structure and predictable order.&nbsp; The development of the British
> empire would have been, to those people, a case of evolution.&nbsp;
> Thus, when parliaments were formed and government functions taken over
> by Northern Ireland and Scotland, this was called
> Devolution.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">Perhaps most important in any discussion along these lines
> is to recognize that the use of the term, &ldquo;evolution&rdquo;,
> implies a values stance of some sort and that we should NOT take for
> granted that we all share the same values, &nbsp;if we hope to have a
> &ldquo;highly evolved&rdquo; discussion (};-])*</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">Nick
> Thompson</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">*&mdash;old bald guy with big eyebrows and a wry smirk on
> his face.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">Nicholas
> S. Thompson</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">Emeritus Professor of Psychology and
> Biology</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">Clark
> University</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;"><a
> href="http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enickthompson/naturaldesigns/";>http:
> //home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/</a></span><o:p></o:
> p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;"><a
> href="http://www.cusf.org/";>http://www.cusf.org</a></span><o:p></o:p><
> /p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
> if&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-ser
style="border:none;border-top:solid windowtext
> 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in;border-color:-moz-use-text-color
> -moz-use-text-color">
class="me48497MsoNormal">
style="font-weight: bold"><span
> style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-seri
> f&quot;">From:</span></span><span
> style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-seri
> f&quot;">
> <a
> href="mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com";>friam-boun...@redfish.com</a>
> [<a
> href="mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com";>mailto:friam-bounces@redfish.c
> Hughes<br />
style="font-weight: bold">Sent:</span> Monday, May 09,
> > 2011
> 8:26 PM<br />
style="font-weight: bold">To:</span> The Friday
> > Morning
> Applied Complexity Coffee Group<br />
style="font-weight: bold">Subject:</span> Re: [FRIAM]
> > What
> evolves?</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> >                                             &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">
couple of other questions then:&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

What is devolution? Is that a legitimate word in this
> > discussion,
> if not why not, etc<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

and&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

Does evolution really just mean change, and if so why is
> > there a
> different word for it?<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

ie:&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

If evolution means &#39;positive sustainable change&#39;
> > who is
> deciding what is positive and sustainable?&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

One could argue that aspects of human neurological
> > evolution have
> &#39;evolved&#39; a less-sustainable organism, or at least a very
> problematic or flawed design. The internal conflicts between different
> areas of the brain, often in direct opposition to each other and
> leading to personal and large-scale destruction: is that evolution? if
> so why, etc<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

Just because we can find out where in our genes this is
> > written,
> does that mean it is good?<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

There is often a confusion between description and purpose.
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

I&#39;d vote for option C, in Eric&#39;s paragraph below:
> ultimately it must be&nbsp;&quot;the organism-environment system
> evolves&quot; or there is an upper limit to the life-span of a
> particular trait. Holism is the only perspective that holds up in the
> long term.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

This is another one of those FRIAM chats that brush
> > against the
> intangible. &nbsp;We sure do sort by population here, and we evolve
> into something new in doing this. I am changed for the better by
> reading and occasionally chiming in, sharpening my vocabulary and
> writing skills in this brilliant and eclectic
> context.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

I determined evolution there. Does a radish get the same
> thrill?&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

Oh, my taxa are so flexed I have to send this off. Thanks
> > for the
> great phrase, NIck-<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

Victoria<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
class="me48497MsoNormal">

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

On May 9, 2011, at 5:41 PM, ERIC P. CHARLES wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

<o:p></o:p></p>

Russ,<br />

Good questions. I&#39;m hoping Nick will speak up, but
> > I&#39;ll
> hand wave a little, and get more specific if he does not.<br />

This is one of the points by which a whole host of
> > conceptual
> confusions enter the discussion of evolutionary theory. Often people
> do not quite know what they are asserting, or at least they do not
> know the implications of what they are asserting. The three most
> common options are that &quot;the species evolves&quot;, &quot;the
> trait evolves&quot;, or &quot;the genes evolve&quot;. A less common,
> but increasingly popular option is that &quot;the organism-environment
> system evolves&quot;. Over the course of the 20th century, people
> increasingly thought it was &quot;the genes&quot;, with Williams
> solidifying the notion in the 50s and 60s, and Dawkins taking it to
> its logical extreme in The Selfish Gene. Dawkins (now the face of
> overly-abrasive-atheism) gives you great quotes like &quot;An chicken
> is just an egg&#39;s way of making more eggs.&quot; Alas, this
> introduces all sorts of devious problems.<br />

I would argue that it makes more sense to say that
> > species
> evolve. If you don&#39;t like that, you are best going with the
> multi-level selection people and saying that the systems evolve. The
> latter is certainly accurate, but thinking in that way makes it hard
> to say somethings you&#39;d think a theory of evolution would let you
> say.&nbsp;<br />

Eric<br />

On Mon, May 9, 2011 06:25 PM, <span style="font-weight:
> bold">Russ Abbott &lt;<a
> href="mailto:russ.abb...@gmail.com";>russ.abb...@gmail.com</a>&gt;</spa
> n>
> wrote:<br />

<o:p></o:p></p>

> style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;51)&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;"
> >I&#39;m hoping you will help me think through this apparently simple
> question.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> style="font-style: italic">evolution</span>, we have something in mind
> that we all seem to understand. But I&#39;d like to ask this question:
> what is it that evolves?</span><o:p></o:p></p>

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> > by <span
> style="font-style: italic">evolution </span>than just that change
> occurs--although that is one of the looser meaning of the term. We
> normally think in terms of a thing, perhaps abstract, e.g,. a species,
> that evolves. Of course that&#39;s not quite right
> since&nbsp;evolution also&nbsp;involves the&nbsp;creation&nbsp;of new
> species. Besides, the very notion of species is&nbsp;<a
> href="http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/species/";>controversial</a>.
> (But that&#39;s a different discussion.) &nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> > say that
> there is generally a thing, an entity, that evolves? The question is
> not just limited to biological evolution. I&#39;m willing to consider
> broader answers.
> But in any context, is it reasonable to expect that the sentence
> &quot;X evolves&quot; will generally have a reasonably
> clear&nbsp;referent&nbsp;for its subject?</span><o:p></o:p></p>

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> > say that
> what we mean by &quot;X evolves&quot; is really
> &quot;evolution&nbsp;occurs.&quot; Does that help? It&#39;s not clear
> to me that it does since the question then becomes what do we means by
> &quot;evolution occurs&quot; other than that change happens. Evolution
> is
> (intuitively) a specific kind of change. But can we characterize it
> more clearly?</span><o:p></o:p></p>

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> > and Eric
> explicitly because I&#39;m especially interested in what biologists
> have to say about this.</span><br clear="all" />

<o:p></o:p></p>

> style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#003
> 333">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

> style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#003
> 333">-- Russ&nbsp;</span></span><o:p></o:p></p>

&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

Eric Charles<br />

Professional Student and<br />

Assistant Professor of Psychology<br />