I completely appreciate the sentiment of hacking things to do what they weren't intended to do.

I also am sympathetic with the irritation with corporate deals that leave us with products that have what feel like arbitrary restrictions (iPhone only works with ATT)...

But at the same time... I agree with Eric's point...   vote with your feet (wallet).
  I've a friend whose first response to any new interesting piece of tech is:
I can't wait to run that thing through a band saw!

Glen,
If by "enslaved to a corporate cabal" you mean that I use my cell phone mostly as a phone, I can tell you it doesn't feel that bad. Personally, I have trouble imagining why anyone would want to do otherwise. The complaints of people who have to 'go through the trouble' to jailbreak iPhones, for example, strike me as silly. If you don't like what the iPhone is, why did you buy one? It's like someone who buys a new house and then complains it is not laid out the way they want, and then complains about how hard it was to redo the floor plan: You know there were other houses, right? You know it was a perfectly functional house already, right?

Now, I'm not against tinkering with things. If you are the type of person that likes to buy things intended for one purpose and modify them for other purposes, then I support you, and am at times a comrade in arms. But if that were the case, there would be no reason to complain.

Ah well, slave signing out,

Eric