Not clear why this is a philosophical implication.  Would an empirical
result EVER answer a mathematical question?

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Bruce Sherwood
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 8:20 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Grand Design, Philosophy is Dead, and Hubris

I'm a physicist, not a philosopher, and I know very little formal
philosophy, but I think in this case what Zeilinger claims is correct, that
measurements have ruled out certain "philosophical" viewpoints on reality.
The specific instance is roughly this (though I hasten to say that I am not
an expert on the new perspectives on quantum mechanics, nor as I've said
knowledgeable in philosophy):

A possible view of microscopic reality is that some particles "have" a
state, only probabilistically determined to be sure, but they have some
state, and an observation determines what that (probabilistically
determined) state is. This view of reality is truly ruled out by recent
experiments, which show that the particles do NOT "have" a state to be
measured, it really really is the case that they take on a state in the
process of measurement.

This is highly counterintuitive. It's the part of quantum mechanics that
Einstein could not accept. The famous Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen
(EPR) paper of the 1930s proved that it you took quantum mechanics seriously
you would lead to absurd predictions, including such things as a system of
particles not already being in a state before being observed. Since the
predictions are absurd, EPR concluded that the theory of quantum mechanics
must be imcomplete.

It was many years before experimenters were able to carry out experiments to
explore these absurdities. When they did, they found that the absurd
predictions of quantum mechanics are in fact what happens. It is a delicious
irony that yet another contribution that Einstein made to the development of
quantum mechanics was to prove that quantum mechanics cannot be right,
thereby stimulating people to do the experiments to investigate the
"absurdities".

Bruce

P.S. I'm now reading an excellent history of the development of quantum
mechanics, "The Quantum Story" by Jim Baggott. Much of this is familiar, but
even one of the tales previously unknown to me was worth the price of
admission (only $10 in Kindle edition). When Bohr created the Bohr model of
the hydrogen atom, in the early 1910s, before publishing he discussed his
ideas with Rutherford. Rutherford, who cultivated an aw-shucks New Zealand
country boy image but who was very smart, asked, "But if you say that the
energy state can drop one, or two, or three levels, what determines which
energy change the atom experiences? What about causality?"