One modern-day philosopher works hand-in-hand with scientists. I'm thinking
here of Daniel Dennett. Ethical behavior used to be pretty clear: do this,
don't do that, and you deserve to be punished if you violate those strictures.
But as the scientific evidence began to pile up that free will was something of
an illusion, Dennett and his colleagues have been working to find a way of
making ethical responsibility compatible with what we know about genetic
impulsion.

On Jul 8, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Douglas Roberts wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing what others on this list think that modern-day
> philosophers do.  I'd express my opinion now, but I'm afraid it would taint
> the no-doubt rich, insightful responses that I'm sure will follow.
>
> But just to be clear, the question is:  what to modern-day philosophers do?
> Not: what did philosophers do back in the days before science had progressed
> to it's present state.
>
> --
> Doug Roberts
> drobe...@rti.org
> d...@parrot-farm.net
> http://parrot-farm.net/Second-Cousins
>
> 505-455-7333 - Office
> 505-670-8195 - Cell

"In humans, the brain is already the hungriest part of our body: at 2 percent
of our body weight, this greedy tapeworm of an organ wolfs down 20 percent of
the calories that we expend at rest."

                        Douglas Fox, Scientific American