I have a clarifying (to me) question:  When you say "MC" and
"integration" and "The US has eschewed xyz", what scale and mechanisms
provide your context?

By scale, I mean spectra like from interpersonal <-> US culture and city
ordinance <-> Constitution, borrowing tools from neighbors <-> credit
default swaps, etc.  By mechanisms I mean things like your two examples
of common currency and agreements like the EU, but also things like
common law, options for incorporation, tax-exemption, licensing, guest
worker programs, the electoral college, etc.

It's just not clear to me where your question's coming from.