Hm. I was a corporate kid whose family was transferred globally every three years. I came back to the US to go to college (did not do the Junior Year Abroad option) stayed in that same town for 8 years after graduating, then began to move again; around the US this time, every year or two, sometimes more often. New Mexico is the longest I've been anywhere. I do get restless and travel often, in the US and EU. I have noticed that every year or two, if I do not move, I rearrange the furniture and rooms in my house, often quite dramatically. I have always wondered at my now-ingrained need to uproot familiar circumstances after a couple of years, and derive it directly from what I perceived as benefits to leaving everything and starting anew. Feels strongly psychological to me. I feel like a shark who needs to keep swimming or I will suffocate. My one sibling, also female, does not have this. Re traveling / wealth / tolerance and bigotry: I do not believe this one is a direct correlation. The willingness to take in new ideas is exacerbated by travel experiences, but not limited to them. Reading has given me as much desire to understand and tolerate as seeing very diverse cultures all satisfied with their adaptations. And there certainly are bigoted, close-minded people whose travel is wide- ranging yet which is used to confirm their own sense of superiority. Another element entering into the discussion for us here is the aging parent phenomenon: people of either gender, or couples, who move near the parental orbit to take care of them, not necessarily because they would choose to live there otherwise. More and more of that. WIth two- income families the norm as well, not an issue in primates, proximity to family that one can trust to care for the kiddies is a requirement for many.

        Victoria