Nick,
In his last paper, "William James as a Psychologist," Holt tells us that the
William James was never one to shun contradictions, and that the one
outstanding contradiction in psychology is: The mind seems dependent upon the
body, while the mind also seems independent of the body.

Traditionally psychology and philosophy try to somehow divide up the turf, but
James insisted the problems of the mind and of the body cannot be solved
independent of each other. Another way to phrase this would be to say that the
problems of knowledge are ultimately identical to the problems of physiological
psychology.

I wager that you no longer understand the problem, because you are familiar
with the century worth of work supporting James's position. A century of
research showing that mind and body are not different in such a way as to allow
for a 'mind-body' problem. People who don't know about this work still think it
is mysterious.

Eric

P.S. My hunch is that all scientific fields have complaints about things that
were solved long ago, but that people still insist are mysterious. Since there
are lots of computer people on the list. Imagine that you were stuck in a room
with people debating whether there were any problems that computers couldn't
solve. You keep trying to convince them that there are well known classes of
problems computers cannot solve, and much of the work on this problem was
solved long ago, and that there is no 'can computers solve everything'
mysterious. However, no matter how much you protest, they are so vested in the
mysteriousness that they don't believe you.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 08:19 PM, "Nicholas  Thompson"
<nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Glen,

>I realize that you didn't start this thread, so you may be as perplexed as I
>am, but, what exactly IS the mind-body problem?
>
>Also, not that it's essential, but could you DISAMBIGUATE? I, of course,
>instantly assumed you were referring to number eleven.
>
>    Flying Spaghetti Monster, the deity of Pastafarianism, a parody religion
>    FIFA Soccer Manager, a video game about football management
>    Fighting Spirit magazine, a professional wrestling periodical
>    Film Score Monthly, a record label and online magazine
>    Forgetting Sarah Marshall, a motion picture
>    Free Software Magazine, a computing periodical/website
>    Free software movement, a sociopolitical movement in computing
>    Fiji School of Medicine, the central medical school of the University of
>the South Pacific
>    Fixed Survey Meter, an instrument used by the British Royal Observer
>Corps during the Cold War to detect nuclear fallout
>    Folded spectrum method, a Solver for Eigenvalue problems
>    Free Speech Movement, at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1964
>    Finite-state machine, a model of computation
>    Field service management, optimization of the field operations of
>technicians
>    Fatih Sultan Mehmet (as Mehmed II), 7th sultan of the Ottoman
>Empire
>    Fabryka Samochodów Małolitrażowych Polish car factory
>    Federated States of Micronesia, an Oceanic island nation
>    Fort Smith Regional Airport (IATA code: FSM) in Arkansas, United
>States
>    Mauritian Solidarity Front, in French Front Solidarité Mauricien
>(FSM)
>
>THANKS,
>
>Nick

Eric Charles