ERIC P. CHARLES wrote circa 11-10-11 10:35 AM:
> If
> you want to hurt the evil corporations with their super-rich owners...
> stop giving them your money. Technologically, I thought some of the most
> interesting things about the Arab spring were all the creative ways
> protesters circumvented popular, corporate-run communication channels
> (in their case because the government shut down access). Surely it would
> be possible to do the same here if people really wanted to make a
> principled stand.

And on that note, I've finally dumped my Mastercard for Discover in
protest of MC's refusal to allow payments to Wikileaks.  I've switched
from T-Mobile to Cricket in the wake of T-Mobile's agreeing to be
acquired by ATT.  I'm moving my personal funds out of all banks and into
credit unions, getting rid of my Visa debit card in the process.  Etc.
[sigh] I'm convinced my actions will have zero effect.  I'm trading one
brand for another in most cases.  The point being that it's very
difficult to take a "principled stand".

Anecdote: Awhile back, Renee' discovered she liked organic milk better
than ... what? ... regular milk?  pesticide-, hormone-laden, produce
from exploited, tortured animals?  Anyway, I also have a friend who is
convinced raw milk is much more healthy.  So, I'd been thinking about
milk for awhile.  (which is a bit gross for me... milk is just nasty,
almost as bad as mushrooms.)  In order to help her make her decisions
and try to figure out why some milk tastes better and lasts longer in
the fridge, I began trying to figure out where the actual milk comes
from for any given brand.  Of course, "organic" milk isn't any better
than any other type of milk because the label "organic" has been taken
over by shadowy networks of multinational corporations with armies of
marketing, scitech, and legal operatives ensconced in every institution.
(Although this site helps:
http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html)

I have similar anecdotes about ground beef, pre- and post-manufactured
sheds, portable radar speed signs, and commercial real estate.

--
glen