I've been working on learning how to capture an analyze Twitter data recently
so this is timely.

I highly recommend the book "Mining the Social Web" by Matthew Russell, as long
as you're comfortable with Python (or programming in general, since the
examples are enough to get started even if you have to learn Python in the
process).  You can find it on O'Reilly
(http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920010203.do) or Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449388345?tag=oreonbl-20).  I'm going
through it now.

Another potential source for tweets is Infochimps
(http://www.infochimps.com/).  They've got a good bit of readily available data
from Twitter, although I'm not sure if they have actual tweets available for
free.  Some data they do charge for access to.

Aaron, if you're interested, I can put you in touch with one of my professors
who has a company that does a whole lot of analysis of Tweets (although they're
located in the Washington, DC area).

Brent