Actually, I can't believe I forgot to mention this.  A couple of researchers,
Scott Golder and Michael Macy (a name that might be familiar to some folks
here) at Cornell, did some large-scale mining of tweets and looked at patterns
of word use throughout the day around the world.  Here's the info about the
paper:

Scott A. Golder and Michael W. Macy. (2011) Diurnal and Seasonal Mood
Vary with Work, Sleep and Daylength Across Diverse Cultures. Science. 30 Sep
2011.
[ main text
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/333/6051/1878?ijkey=FeSTyP0rXFpqA&keytype=ref&siteid=sci
 (pdf) | supplementary materials
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2011/09/28/333.6051.1878.DC1/Golder.SOM.pdf
 (pdf) | extras http://redlog.net/timeuse/ (web) ]

Also, check out the site they put up allowing people to search for words and
then graph out when those words are most frequently used: http://timeu.se/

By they way, if anyone is more comfortable with R than with Python, here are
some links on how to use R for gathering Twitter data:

Using R to search Twitter for analysis
http://www.franklincenterhq.org/2429/using-r-to-search-twitter-for-analysis/

Text Data Mining with Twitter and R
http://heuristically.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/text-data-mining-twitter-r/

And Drew Conway has a bunch of good material on his blog about getting and
analyzing Twitter data with both Python and R:
http://www.drewconway.com/zia/

Brent