There's a nice discussion of the Fermi Paradox on Wikipedia.

I would tend to agree with Owen's conjecture about the era, insofar as we have evolved on and live on a hot rock, said heat much driven by heavy element decay. That might turn out to be as important as the presence of water.

As far as interststellar communication goes, (1) we've been using radio for communication for a *very* short time; a civilization even a hundred years "ahead" (o there's an assumption) might consider it quaint (2) our interstellar era might be characterized by a "buttons and threads" model, and its just too early days yet to see on average any interstellar feelers, so (3) the civs able to play might thus (due to small sample size) be somewhat divided on the advantages and disadvantages of contact so would perhaps be pickier about such contact than we might assume by their "advanced" labeling.

Someone (Benford?) wrote: "The thing about aliens is, they're alien." We're not necessarily any more or less alone if they turn up.

How *would* we respond to the message: "Hello meat, how's it going?"

Carl