Ah, one of my favorite authors, Arthur C. Clarke. Well, in 2012 the von
Neumann machines were used to increase the density of Jupiter to fusion
point, creating Lucifer, the solar system's second star, in order that the
life on Europa might have a more stable source of heat to evolve in than
the mercurial hotspots on the ocean bottom created by Jupiter's tidal
forces. This is why human beings must ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE, so they do
not interfere with the process of advancement to civilisation as arranged
by the mysterious monolith-controlling aliens (who have energy bodies like
Dave Bowman has at the end of *2001* [who by the way becomes incorporated
with the energy body of HAL to become Halman after 2010] but who used to
have spaceship bodies like Rama in Clarke's *Rama* series). For those who
enjoyed the films, I highly recommend the book series, it is excellent.

But perhaps a better literary comparison is Isaac Asimov's short story *The
Last Question*, the eponymous question being "Will we [humans] ever reverse
entropy?". In the story, we have a series of vignettes of a human asking a
computer the question, from engineers asking it of a huge supercomputer on
Earth (contemporary to the time of writing) to a family asking it of a
starship they are living on to a pair of transgalactic (energy-body, again)
conversers asking it of a mystical supercomputer keeping it's vast mass in
hyperspace. None of the computers can answer, and prefer to wait for more
data. Eventually the computers and humans merge (that theme again) into a
single being (I guess that is the Singularity?) and slip into hyperspace
just before the universe heat-dies (correct usage?) and the HumPuter (my
term, I forget what Asimov calls it) ponders the Question, eventually
deciding it has figured it out. Thus entropy is reversed and the universe
was created, with the implication that this is what God is (the religion
conversation sneaking back into this thread).
-Arlo James Barnes