Oh.  Steve.  I would infinitely prefer to argue with a catholic about
transubstantiation than  with a spiritualist.  N

-----Original Message-----
From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:10 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] So, *Are* We Alone?

I agree with Nick's implied rules of engagement.  Gratuitous contempt and
nastiness are about the only things I find hard to remedy with liberal use
of my <delete> or my ability to skim an e-mail and go on (by the time I
realize I want to disregard same, I have been infected by it).

My father used to say:  "I don't talk religion or politics with
anyone... with anyone!"  .   I don't go that far, but I admit that once
someone degenerates into proselytizing to me (actively or as passively as
*assuming* that I share their religious or political beliefs) I am at least
mildly offended (irritated?).

I am, however, always interested in peoples experiences and reasoned
analysis of those experiences, including religious and political, though I'd
prefer to hear about "spiritual" and "intellectual" experiences and
considerations, I guess.

- Steve
> I don't remember anybody complaining about discussions of religion, per
se.
> I do remember a request that contempt or gratuitous nastiness not be a
> part of such a discussion  I would also urge everybody to bear in mind
> that this is, after all, a list of people loosely self identified as
> "complexiticists".   But that hardly excludes any topic.
>
> Nick

).