Sarbajit Roy wrote at 04/06/2012 06:36 AM:
> I would treat induction/deduction/abduction in an alternate formal manner.
> http://psivision.objectis.net/DeductionAbductionInduction

Thread successfully hijacked! ;-)

I think it's hilarious how we all want to _fix_ the semantic map and
that we fail to tolerate others' maps.  I also think Nick, Doug, and
Bruce (and everyone else) are and will always be using different
definitions of the word "induction".  And I actually think that's a
_good_ thing.  Ambiguity is good.  N-ary relations are good.  Why are so
many of us so _proud_ that we are not dazzled by what others think?
What's wrong with basking in the idiocy, mediocrity, and brilliance of
the world around us?  Where lies this impetus to either retreat into
little holes of cynicism or forcibly _remake_ reality to match our
fantasies?

Let's take this back to Doug's original offending question: whether a
two-fold increase in intelligence would lead to a reduction in religious
belief.  Moron that I am, I am fascinated and dazzled by tales of magic,
extra terrestrial life, personal transformation, and mythology[*].  I.e.
the thoughts of others.  These thoughts breathe life into what can
become a debilitating existence of fact-checking and pompous denigration
of others' semantic maps.

So, if I were to draw lines (which I won't lest I contradict myself ;-),
then you should count me on the side of the morons who prefer to be less
intelligent and continually bedazzled by the thoughts of others.

[*] Though I am thoroughly tired of vampires at this point. [sigh]  I
used to love a good vampire story.  I'm not sure what happened.

--
glen