I object to the snarkiness of the term *Inner Sanctum*. But that aside, I
now have 2 points.

   - It struck me this morning that the position you attribute to Peirce
   (and that you accept yourself?) imports teleology into biology (or even
   physics if it applies to matter as well).  If a biological organism B does
   act A *because *something C is the case that suggests that B expects
   that doing A when C is the case will produce some anticipated result R,
   i.e., that B is attempting to bring about R, i.e., that B is acting
   teleologically. But I thought that teleology had been banned from biology.
   The emphasis is on the *because*, which was the word you used. I'm
   assuming that Peirce is distinguishing between (a) belief and action in
   this sense and (b) traditional physics where, for example, a rock dropped
   from a height falls to the ground *because *of gravity. It would be
   useful if you would clarify what Peirce means by *because *if it isn't
   intended teleologically.

   - I hesitate to add this point because I don't want the discussion to
   get sidetracked onto a discussion of subjective experience. But since you
   brought it up, here goes. I don't see what Peirce accomplishes by calling
   feeling a relation to a relation. Is his claim that someone like me claims
   to have a subjective experience if and only if (Peirce can demonstrate
   that) I'm in a relation to a relation? Since I'm not sure what he means by
   a relation to a relation, I'd need clarification to see whether I agree or
   even if it's simply a tautology.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: https://plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/