From: Russ Abbott [mailto:russ.abb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 2:06 PM
To: Nicholas Thompson
Cc: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Peirce and teleology

Nick,

Please see below.

-- Russ

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Nicholas Thompson
<nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Well, "relation to a relation" is my way of talking, not Peirce's.  he uses
the word "sign", but he uses that term in such contorted and ephemeral ways
that I have started to try to understand him WITHOUT using it.

[Russ] Does this mean that we are no longer talking about whether feeling is
synonymous with relation to a relation?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky.  It is "inner" and it is a kind of
"sanctum", isn't it?   The second meaning from Dick.com is "A private or
secret place to which few other people are admitted."  Isn't that a fair
reading of your position with respect to emotions and motivations?  IE.,
that our behaviors arise from such a privileged causal place?

[Russ] I don't think I said much about emotions or motivations specifically.
I generally talk about subjective experience. That includes the experience
of having emotion. Motivation may be something else. I don't think of my
subjective experience as  "A private or secret place to which few other
people are admitted." Although as far as I know, it's not possible for
anyone else to share my subjective experience -- at least given current
technology. It may be in the future thought. That's not very sanctum-like --
although if we ever do develop technology that allows people to share other
people's subjective experience, it will certainly raise many privacy issues.

I think Peirce imports teleonomy into biology, but not teleology.  You
recall that my general position is that everybody else but me confuses
causality at a lower level with structure at a higher level.  I.e., when we
say that joe wants a hot fudge Sunday, we are not referring to an inner
causal demon who is pressing Joe toward the Sunday shop, rather we are
referring to an organization of Joe's behavior over time with respect to
icecream shops and the presense of some triggering even that sets that
structure in motion in the present instance.  On my account, thinking that
joes Sundae hunger cause his sundae eating is hypostization.  I think Peirce
would agree with this position.

[Russ] Merriam-Webster defines teleonomy (nice word; I didn't realize there
was a word for that) as "the quality of apparent purposefulness of structure
or function in living organisms due to evolutionary adaptation." I already
have what I think is a good explanation of teleonomy: mutation produces what
in effect is some functionality in the world, which happens enhance
survival. I see that as applying to biological organisms in general. If
that's what you and Peirce are saying, I guess we agree. Otherwise, I'm not
sure where we are.  I wouldn't disagree with your description of Joe's
behavior.

[Russ] This seems to be drifting into a discussion of "free will" rather
than subjective experience. Sam Harris recently gave quite a convincing talk
about "The Illusion of Free Will <http://goo.gl/FQFMc> ." As far as I'm
concerned, though, denying free will does not require denying the reality of
subjective experience.

Rushing, but not snarky,

Nick