This is presumably a response to a note I wrote about a thousand
emails ago, in which I claimed for Owen (and me) the right to be
interested in star populations and the evolution of sentience just
simply because we're interested in it, and I didn't like your
challenging us and asking for justification for our interest. He and I
have no need to justify our interest to anyone, and as I said then I
might as well question your right to be interested in some details of
induction which I found really boring. In fact, there are lots of
areas in which I have no interest, but it's really important that
other people do have interest in them, which includes you being
interested in induction.

This is a different issue from what justification I had to make to the
National Science Foundation to obtain funding for projects. But even
there "interest" certainly plays a role. If I were sufficiently
interested in the alien issue, I might well come up with compelling
reasons why NSF should fund me to look more deeply into the matter,
but I don't think I could ever muster enough interest to convince NSF
to fund me to study scientist's attitudes toward induction, whereas
you might be able to do so.

Bruce