Here's an article I came across today:

Opinion: Academic Publishing Is Broken | The Scientist

http://the-scientist.com/2012/03/19/opinion-academic-publishing-is-broken/

This started me thinking about what services publishers perform in general. As this article points out, for the scientific community, some publications are necessary for historical reasons. Also, I can see great value in peer review.

But, what is to prevent someone from setting up a web site devoted to eBooks not subject to the publishers' restrictions ? E.g., self-published books or books marketed by "ebook agents". By taking the copyrights out of the current publishers' hands, presumably, the prices could be drastically lowered while the authors could get higher fees and/or royalties !

This would not do away with the need for editors. But do editors need to be employees of the existing publishers ?

So, what are the compelling arguments for the ability of publishers to maintain their control over content delivered electronically ?

Joe

--

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

  -- Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1913.