About five years ago, I was in the NYC audience of a speech given by Don Lamm
(whom many of you might know--lives in Santa Fe, former chmn of the board of W.
W. Norton). The audience was mixed authors and publishing types. Among other
things, Don was saying, authors: you better provide your own copy editing now,
because publishers aren't going to do it.

After he finished, my hand was first up. I said: I've been my own typesetter
for ten years. I do my own proofreading, indexing, etc. Publishing promotion is
simply risible, so whatever promotion gets done, gets done by me. Now you're
telling me I need to provide my own copy editing too?
What possible value added is a publisher to me? Why should I share a damn cent
with them?

Much stirring and harrumphing among the publishing types, and one finally said,
well, we are a filter for quality. Be serious, I retorted. One more quality
vampire book? Okay, they conceded, we can distribute. That they can. But I have
to trust them that they'll tell the truth about sales. They have been known to
fib, in their own favor, of course.

I long ago decided not to mind that the top editors were having wonderful
lunches at the Four Seasons daily while I waited for royalties in six-month
increments, those computed only three months after a pay period closed, and
with royalties held back for "returns." But I do mind their poormouthing and
whining. It is surely the most backward industry in America.

On Apr 21, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Edward Angel wrote:

> Although I am no fan of the present broken publishing system, the recent
> posts have led me to think about the steps that an author has to go through
> to get a book out. If you look at what it takes, all the proposed
> alternatives don't solve the problem for an author. I'm addressing my
> comments mostly to textbooks but it's not much different for trade books or
> even for other endeavors like filmmaking.
>
> To start with, it takes six months to a year of effort to write a good first
> draft. Then the publication process can involves the following entities:
>
> 1. Editor
> 2. Development editor (especially for a first edition)
> 3. Reviewers (maybe 5-7)
> 4. Production manager (responsible for among other things securing copyrights
> and permissions)
> 5. Typesetter
> 6. Copy Editor
> 7. Proof Reader
> 8. Printer (if not an ebook)
>
> 9. Marketing and Distribution
>
> At the present, all of the first 8 eight tasks except for 1. and perhaps 4.
> are contracted out by the publisher, so as Russell points out, the author
> could get these services done without the publisher. However, there can be
> considerable expense involved and at this point you would have not only spent
> a the six months to a year writing but also paying for these services and
> spending lots of time contracting and supervising the process. And at this
> point you haven't received any royalties and probably have no way to market
> your work, a step which is crucial and has not been addressed in these posts.
> Nor do you have any reason to believe that your work will be successful
> enough to pay for the above expenses or to compensate you for your time. So
> even if the author isn't seeking to get rich or even to make any money, I
> don't see any good alternatives for most of us to the present broken model.
> Even though my royalties are a small fraction of the selling price and the
> price students have to pay for books is outrageous, at least from the
> author's persective, my up front costs are minimal (mostly my time) and I can
> focus on the parts I enjoy.
>
> Ed
> __________
>
> Ed Angel
>
> Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
> Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico
>
> 1017 Sierra Pinon
> Santa Fe, NM 87501
> 505-984-0136 (home)                   an...@cs.unm.edu
> 505-453-4944 (cell)                           http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel
>

> On Apr 20, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Russell Standish wrote:
>
>> This has already been done. See, for instance, Amazon's CreateSpace
>> (previously known as BookSurge). There is also a competitor based in
>> Canada, whose name I have unfortunately forgotten. Both paper and
>> eBook is supported.

> [...]

"She instructed me as if out of bitter personal experience; she brooded along
the edges of my childhood like someone living out a long Tennysonian regret."

        Wallace Stegner, "Angle of Repose"