In order for the sort of system I am considering to work, there would still be a need for intermediaries to edit and review, format, et cetera, to ensure a high quality finished product.

I see no reason not to also have individuals/firms specializing in marketing etextbooks, even for specific markets such as high schools, medical schools, et cetera. I doubt you could get school adoption without direct sales contact. I suspect the school adoption process is an arduous one. On the other hand, you would have a guaranteed number of sales. I think you would want to work with someone that was experienced in marketing textbooks to your market already.

A related issue is which schools (if any) would/could adopt entirely electronic textbooks. If schools could/would not do that, there would have to be some means of producing and delivering physical books to at least some students. That does not seem to be an insurmountable problem. The key would be to get school adoption.

But I am not solely thinking about etextbooks. There could just as well be other ebooks produced without the current physical publishers. Such ebooks would also need editing and review, formatting, et cetera. That also seems quite doable. An important point here would be how to ensure copyright protection. I think it is inevitable that there would be some violations, so some form of DRM could be useful.

Regardless, it should still be possible to price ebooks significantly lower than the current situation. The current pricing of ebooks is designed by the publishers to protect their physical copy sales. If you do not have physical copy sales to protect, you are in a very different situation. As a side benefit, lower pricing would encourage compliance with respecting the copyright -- at least in some markets. (Not to mention all the trees that would be saved.)

As far as Apple goes, who knows ? The owner of the content is in a stronger position to negotiate with the publishers or others to perform editing, review, et cetera. From what little I have read about Apple's moves into epublishing, it seems Apple is moving to control ownership of the content as completely as possible.

The move away from the big publishers in the science and math journals seems to be an example of some people realizing they can use the new technology to circumvent the publishers' "blockade".

Joe