I think the following article by Lewis Lapham would be of interest to many
followers of this thread:

Dean Gerber

________________________________
 From: Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The disappearing virtual library

Another input from Harvard:
http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/04/24/1816217/harvard-journals-too-expensive-switch-to-open-access

"Harvard recently sent a memo to faculty saying, 'We write to communicate an
untenable situation facing the Harvard Library. Many large journal publishers
have made the scholarly communication environment fiscally unsustainable and
academically restrictive. This situation is exacerbated by efforts of certain
publishers (called "providers") to acquire, bundle, and increase the pricing on
journals.' The memo goes on to describe the situation in more detail and
suggests options to faculty and students for the future that includessubmitting
articles to open-access journals. If Harvard paves the way with this, how long
until other academic bodies follow suit and cut off companies such as Elsevier?"