An adventure right here in river city!

I recently cracked my iPhone 4s screen.  I'm not sure if it was caused by a
drop, or by my carrying my phone in my pants front pockets .. and bumping a
door or something.  I was surprised by the crack until I read that iPhone 4
glass breaks are 82% higher than the earlier iPhone 3gs after 4 months of
use.  (This from a warrantee company)

The usual "fix" is to trade it in for a new phone, getting replacement
value for your broken phone .. i.e. a cost of $200 and hassling with Apple
and Verizon.

I started to look for alternatives and was surprised how many you-tube
videos showed how to "tear down" the iPhone (and most others as well, this
is a general problem).  And there are kits from places like iFixIt and
iCracked that are do-it-yourself.

iCracked is a recent Y-Combinator award winner .. VC money with a
fascinating business model: they train folks all over the US so that they
immediately became a large company with hundreds of local repair people.
 They have three modes for customers getting their phone fixed: 1: mail in
to iCracked central and get it fixed a few days, 2: find a local repair
person (there are 3 in Albuquerque!) or 3: DIY kit.

Here's their DIY video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXTWp6bd6Y&feature=related

Normally I wouldn't think much about DYI but with computers and phones
getting smaller and smaller, they are costlier to do simple thing like
repairing batteries etc.  Heck .. I decided to buy some tools, buy the kit,
and see if its possible.

Well, it seems to have worked!  I just stitched up the patient and its
doing OK, apparently.  We'll see after a few days if there are any oddities.

As a side note, it turns out teens here in Santa Fe are doing this for pay.
 One neighbor mentioned a classmate charging $40 + parts cost for screen
repairs, so its not a bad business.

Here are some pix:
A picture of the work space:

http://backspaces.net/temp/PhoneFix/Panorama.jpg

The tool setup, showing a ridged work surface to make sure parts and screws
don't get lost!

http://backspaces.net/temp/PhoneFix/Tools.jpg

A closeup of the above, showing the chart used of the steps for the
tear-down.

http://backspaces.net/temp/PhoneFix/ToolsNChart.jpg

A view of the instructional video .. a really great tool!

http://backspaces.net/temp/PhoneFix/Video.jpg

Now to attack my Macbook Air!

   -- Owen