John,  I haven't yet digested Bruce's comments above, nor entirely what you
have written here, but I want to clarify one point.

When somebody speaks of space being warped one has in mind one of those
diagrams where the Cartesian coordinates are bent, right?  In other words,
we are using our pre-Einsteinian worldview as a frame of reference to
describe the Einsteinian world.  But the Cartesian world has no reality,
right?  It's a figment.  Bent IS straight.  I suppose one could say that
Cartesian space is the space that would be there if there were nothing in
it, or if mega world and the micro-world were organized as the meta-world we
humans live in is organized.

I don't know where this leaves us with the underlying question of the role,
if any,  of "magical" thinking in science.  Is Psychology in trouble because
it uses magical thinking, or is it in trouble because it uses bad magic? I
want to think about these questions as a review these posts.  I will be in
touch when I get back to Massachusetts.

Thanks, everybody.

Nick