Nick,

In college, I majored in Math and minored in Physics. My guess is that your
points about how warped space is presented are basically right but obviously
Bruce can respond much more authoritatively.

On magical thinking, I think that before scientists can start testing out
hypotheses, they need to set up a vocabulary in which to state these
hypotheses. One approach to geometry uses Euclid's vocabulary of point, line,
angle and distance. Euclidean geometry is a mathematical theory, with axioms
and logical consequences, expressed in this vocabulary. To see if this is of
any help in navigating the physical world, we have to say precisely what we
mean when we talk about points, lines, angles and distances in the physical
world. Once we do that, we can begin to test to see if the conclusions of
Euclidean geometry are true in the physical world.

In some sense, before we start talking abstractly about geometric points, it
would be nice if we first stated precisely what concrete evidence will be taken
as specifying, say, a point in the physical world. But it doesn't seem easy to
do this until we have first done some substantial analysis about how points
etc. would behave if they existed. During the period when we are still
experimenting with a new vocabulary, it may seem like we are dealing in magic,
but that vocabulary, suitably refined, may eventually revolutionize how we
think about the concrete situations we are trying to understand.

---John